I already purchased the XUMM Tangem cards, what now?
Congratulations! You have made the decision to upgrade your XRP Ledger account security to the next level. Well done!
To start, we strongly recommend that you have two XUMM Tangem cards. We will call them Card 1 and Card 2, but you can label them anything you like in XUMM.
- You will use this card to generate an account on the XRP Ledger
- It needs to be activated with at least 10 XRP
- Will be put in a vault, a safe or another secure place
- Does not get a card enforced passcode (As this card stays safe in vault)
- This card will be linked to the account on Card 1
- Does not have to be activated
- The is the card you carry with you. Your "daily signing card"
- Needs a passcode so if you lose it, someone can't use it without your passcode
Start by configuring a backup card
Configuring a back-up card for you existing Tangem card provides another layer of safety for your assets.
Consider the possibilities..
- Your card is lost
- Your card is stolen
- Your card is damaged
- Your card is destroyed
- Your pet alligator finds your card and chews on it
We have an xApp called, "Tangem Backup" which will walk you through the process.
You can find it in XUMM by pressing the "x√" button at the button of the screen.
Click here if you have any questions about the process.
OK, that was SUPER easy, now what?
So you have two cards, Card 1 and Card 2.
Card 1 is the card that you used to create your XRPL account.
Card 2 is the backup card for Card 1.
Create a passcode on Card 2
The XUMM Tangem card has the option to add a "Passcode" to a card. This feature provides another level of security to your account and can be easily configured.
- Launch XUMM and press Settings -> Accounts
- Press the "edit" button side Card 2.
- Select "Card enforced security"
- Select "Passcode"
- Press the "Save" button
Notice the warning!
- Press "Yes, I'm Sure"
- Enter your new passcode.
- Sign with Card 2.
Whenever you need to sign a transaction on Card 1's account with Card 2, you will now need to enter your Card 2 passcode.
At this point, you should put Card 1 into a safe and secure location. It has effectively become your "backup" card now since you should now be using Card 2 to sign daily transactions on Card 1's account.
What happens if Card 2 is lost/stolen/damaged or destroyed?
- If Card 2 is lost or stolen, it will not be able to sign transactions without the passcode that you just set. It is useless without that passcode.
- If Card 2 is damaged or destroyed, you will go to your safe where Card 1 is and use it to sign transactions on your Card 1 account.
Regardless of what happens to Card 2, Card 1 still has full signing access to your account.
We understand that you might have additional questions regarding this procedure so you are welcome to contact us any time via the XUMM Support xApp in XUMM or you can simply scan this QR code with XUMM and be directed there automatically.